The Public and Collaborative Nature of this Wiki
Any logged-in user may edit the publicly editable pages of this Wiki. By doing so, editors create a published document and a public record of every word added, subtracted, or changed. This is a public act, and editors are identified as the author of such changes. All contributions made to this Wiki, and all publicly available information about those contributions, and all files linked to by the article, are irrevocably licensed and may be freely copied, quoted, reused and adapted by third parties with few restrictions.
Published Works Policy
- You are only allowed to post freely usable content on this wiki. All posted content must be freely accessible without password or registration on other internet platforms.
- The main form of content includes custom tracks, fonts, characters, texture hacks, objects, programs, and other similar things.
- Posting content to the Wiki grants every current and future Wiki user the right to use this content for distributions.
- A third party may publish an author's work on the Wiki provided that they have explicit permission from the author to do so.
- For distributions that have Track Wishlists, authors have the right to remove their track from any wishlist. This does not stop the distribution author from including the track.
- All posted content is the property of its respective creators, including, but not limited to, textures, models, layout, and design. Mario Kart is created by Nintendo; the Mario Kart 8 Wiki is in no way affiliated with Nintendo or its associates.
- If you want to modify an author’s work (such as fixing glitches or changing textures), you must ask for permission, unless specifically stated by said author that it is not required.
- If the author’s account has no contributions after one to two years, and their user page has no requirements for updating tracks, then updates are allowed without permission. If they state that they do require permission, then an attempt to receive permission – either through a talk page or by other means (such as Discord) – is still required.
- This also applies to porting an author's work to another game, such as Mario Kart Wii.
- Custom content, if published with permission, cannot be removed once added to the Wiki. It may get mirrored by other Wiki users even if the original download link is deleted.
- If content not available on the Wiki will be included in a distribution on this website, it must be published if permission was given to use it. Otherwise, the distribution has to remove or replace unwanted content.
Our website may be used without entering personal information. Different rules may apply to certain services on our site, however, and are explained separately below. We collect personal information from you (e.g. name, address, email address, telephone number, etc.) in accordance with the provisions of German data protection statutes. Information is considered personal if it can be associated exclusively to a specific natural person. The legal framework for data protection may be found in the German Federal Data Protection Act (BDSG) and the Telemedia Act (TMG). The provisions below serve to provide information as to the manner, extent and purpose for collecting, using and processing personal information by the provider.
Please be aware that data transfer via the Internet is subject to security risks and, therefore, complete protection against third-party access to transferred data cannot be ensured.
Our website makes use of so-called cookies in order to recognize repeat use of our website by the same user/Internet connection subscriber. Cookies are small text files that your Internet browser downloads and stores on your computer. They are used to improve our website and services. In most cases these are so-called "session cookies" that are deleted once you leave our website.
To an extent, however, these cookies also pass along information used to automatically recognize you. Recognition occurs through an IP address saved to the cookies. The information thereby obtained is used to improve our services and to expedite your access to the website.
You can prevent cookies from being installed by adjusting the settings on your browser software accordingly. You should be aware, however, that by doing so you may not be able to make full use of all the functions of our website.
For technical reasons, data such as the following, which your Internet browser transmits to us or to our web space provider (so called server log files), is collected:
- Type and version of the browser you use
- Operating system
- Websites that linked you to our site (referrer URL)
- Websites that you visit
- Date and time of your visit
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address
This anonymous data is stored separately from any personal information you may have provided, thereby making it impossible to connect it to any particular person. The data is used for statistical purposes in order to improve our website and services.
Purpose of Registering
We offer you the opportunity to sign up for our website. The information entered when signing up, as shown in the registration form:
- Email address
- Real name (optional)
is collected and stored solely for use by our website. When signing up for our website, we also store your IP address and the date and time you registered. This serves to protect us in the event a third party improperly and without your knowledge makes use of your data to sign up for our site. None of this information is transferred to third parties. Nor is any of this information matched to any information that may be collected by other components of our website.
On our website we offer you the opportunity to contact us, either by email and/or by using a contact form. In such event, information provided by the user is stored for the purpose of facilitating communications with the user. No data is transferred to third parties. Nor is any of this information matched to any information that may be collected by other components of our website.
On our website we offer you the opportunity to post comments about individual articles. For this purpose, the IP address of the user/Internet connection subscriber is stored. This information is stored for our security in the event the author through his/her comments infringes against third party rights and/or unlawful content is entered. Consequently, we have a direct interest in the author’s stored data, particularly since we may be potentially liable for such violations. No data is transferred to third parties. Nor is any of this information matched to any information that may be collected by other components of our website.
Subscribing to Comments
On our website we offer you the opportunity to subscribe to subsequent comments about an article which you intend to comment on. When you choose this option, you will receive a confirmation email which is used to determine if you are actually the owner of the email address entered. You may at any time revoke your decision to subscribe to such follow-on comments. You will find additional details in the confirmation email. No data hereby obtained is transferred to third parties. Nor is any of this information matched to any information that may be collected by other components of our website.
Use of reCAPTCHA
In order to protect input forms on our site, we use the “reCAPTCHA” service of Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043 USA, hereinafter “Google”. By means of this service it can be distinguished whether the corresponding input is of human origin or is created improperly by automated machine processing.
To our knowledge, the referrer URL, the IP address, the behaviour of the website visitors, information about the operating system, browser and length of stay, cookies, display instructions and scripts, user input behaviour and mouse movements in the “reCAPTCHA” checkbox are conveyed to “Google”.
Google uses the information obtained, among other things, to digitize books and other printed matter as well as to optimize services such as Google Street View and Google Maps (e.g. house number and street name recognition).
The IP address provided as part of “reCAPTCHA” is not merged with other data from “Google” unless you are logged into your Google Account at the time the “reCAPTCHA” plug-in is used. If you want to prevent this transmission and storage of data by “Google” about you and your behaviour on our website, you must log out of “Google” before you visit our site or before using the “reCAPTCHA” plug-in.
Use of YouTube components
On our website we use components (videos) of YouTube, LLC 901 Cherry Ave., 94066 San Bruno, CA, USA, a company belonging to Google Inc., Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA.
When you display a page that has an embedded video, a connection will be made to the YouTube server and the content will appear on the website via a communication to your browser.
Further information about data protection by YouTube is provided by Google under the following link:
On the basis of the Federal Data Protection Act, you may contact us at no cost if you have questions relating to the collection, processing or use of your personal information, if you wish to request the correction, blocking or deletion of the same, or if you wish to cancel explicitly granted consent. Please note that you have the right to have incorrect data corrected or to have personal data deleted, where such claim is not barred by any legal obligation to retain this data.